The Digital world is moving at an incredible pace. To keep up to date with the latest trends, subscribe to our Blog.
The Social Larder runs two Workshops designed to raise your Digital Intelligence and explore the edge of Digital.
Every year Mary Meeker’s provides outstanding insight into current internet trends. She pulls together incredible amounts of data with clever analysis and explores industries being impacted by these trends. This year is no different. The Social Larder has an Active Blog Post “Re-Imagine: Internet Trends that will BLOW YOUR MIND! Mary Meeker’s Internet Trends” It is kept up to date with Mary’s latest presentation.
Subscribe & Connect with us to keep up to date. We regularly blog on current trends and future opportunities.
Every month SocialMediaNews.com.au compiles a Social Media Stats Report. The stats in the following order of importance:
1. Number of Active Australian users going to that particular social network each month.
2. Number of Unique Australian Visitors (UAVs) going to that social network each month
3. Total Australian User numbers reported by that particular social network (not necessarily active users).
Social Media Statistics Australia – January 2013
1. Facebook – 11,784,460 Australian users/accounts (down approx 24,000). We suspect this is Facebook’s continuing effort to remove spam accounts, which they have again been doing over the Dec/Jan period.
2. YouTube – 11,000,000 UAVs (steady)
3. Blogspot – 3,400,000 (down 100,000)
4. Tumblr – 2,900,000 (down 200,000)
5. WordPress.com – 2,700,000 (up 200,000)
6. LinkedIn – 2,400,000 (up 300,000)
7. Twitter – 2,200,000 Active Australian Users (see calculation below)
8. Instagram - 990,000 Active Australian Users (see calculation below)
9. Flickr – 830,000 (up 10,000)
10. Pinterest – 660,000 (up 10,000)
11. Google Plus – approx 340,000 (down approx 30,000)
12. MySpace – 320,000 (down 20,000)
13. Yelp – 220,000 (steady)
14. Reddit – 165,000 (up 15,000)
15. StumbleUpon – 100,000 (steady)
16. Foursquare – 56,000 (up 1,000)
17. Digg – 41,000 (down 4,000)
18. Delicious – 33,000 (up 3,000)
Instagram User Calculation based on Facebook Formulae
Facebook announced they now have 1.06 billion active users.
Australia accounts for 11,784,460 users, or approx 1.1% of the total user base.
Instagram recently announced they have 90 million active users worldwide and 1.1% of this equates to approx 990,000 active Australian users. I wouldn’t be surprised if the figure is actually higher than this, however no official Instagram stats have been released for Australia.
Twitter User Calculation based on Facebook Formulae
According to Twitter’s Business Portal – they now have over 200,000,000 active users.
1.1% of this worldwide total = 2,200,000 monthly Australian users.
Key Points to note:
- Google Plus usage in Australia is still very small. In Google’s recent earning release they didn’t even mention Google Plus user numbers. They previously claimed around 150 million active users but there is considerable doubt with these claims. From our research Australian numbers are dropping.
- Flickr has updated their iPhone app and whilst not counted in ‘web hits’ is creating a positive experience for existing users and enticing new users to signup.
- Youtube has been very consistent over the past year, almost always attracting around 11 million Australian visitors every month.
- WordPress and LinkedIn saw a drop in December, but noticeable rises in January as holiday goers get back to work/ blogging.
- Twitter users are up slightly in Australia. Twitter office expected to open in Sydney this year.
Feel free to share and post our stats on your site – please note Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0
Shared under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0